Study Abroad at College

Many working adults in Canada go to college to advance their careers or change jobs. After graduating from college, international students will be able to earn a work permit called the “Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)”, which will allow them to work full-time, which is a great advantage for those who want to immigrate. You can also improve your language skills by learning specialized things in English.

7 Benefits of Choosing College Study Abroad

You can work while studying

You can work part-time (20 hours a week) at the same time while attending school.

Canadian Certificate

After graduating from school, you will be awarded a certificate of education in Canada by the Government of Canada.

Post Gradute Work Permit

If you attend a government-approved college for more than a year, you can get a work permit of up to 3 years, which allows you to work 40 hours a week.

Points for Permanent Residence

Points for permanent residence will be added for continuous employment for one year or more.

English + Professional Skills

By learning specialized skills such as business in English, your language skills will improve further!

No age limit

There is no age limit like Working Holiday, and you can study abroad at any time.

You can keep costs down

You can keep working for the duration of your visa, which saves you money on studying abroad.

6 Steps from College Study Abroad to Immigration

There are two options from studying abroad in college to becoming an immigrant.

One is to get a high score with the English test required for immigrants called IELTS, or the TOEFL score required to enter the university / college where you are studying abroad, and the other is called Pathway. It is to go to school for the purpose of acquiring the necessary English proficiency after going on to school.

Some Pathway programs are offered at language schools and some are attached to the college where you study abroad. By choosing the Pathway program, you will be exempted from English tests such as IELTS and TOEFL, making it easier for you to go on to higher education.

If you have taken a full-time course of at least 8 months at a government-approved college, you can apply for a “Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)” visa within 180 days of graduating from school.

This visa can be obtained for up to 3 years and is allowed to work 40 hours a week. And if you work on that PGWP visa for one year in a row, you can apply for immigration (Federal Work Permit) in the Express Entry slot.

Weekly Timetable for Full-time students

This is just an example, but it varies depending on the program and college, such as one class day or a holiday.

At noon, we sew between classes and eat at the cafeteria. Students work part-time or do assignments at home after school.

College List

A variety of career-oriented programs. Online courses are also available. It’s downtown so it’s easy to go to school.

With five campuses near Toronto, we offer a wide range of educational programs.

A school that focuses on art and technology. There are about 200 courses in total, including college programs and co-op programs.

There are three modern campuses within GTA, with over 120 full-time courses offered. It is a very strong school for computers.

A school that is strong in IT programs. There are also joint lectures with the University of Toronto at Scarborough and Ryerson University.

It is a school that is strong in media and web. There are two campuses in Toronto, offering education in 40 different fields.

Over 100 full-time programs. There are three campuses in Ontario, and small groups can receive in-depth lectures.

Conveniently located just minutes from Niagara Falls. There are more than 130 abundant programs in small groups.

With seven campuses in Ontario, centered on Barry, northern Toronto, the school boasts a high employment rate of 89.7% after graduation.

A student visa is a permit that allows international students to study for a long time (6 months or more) at a designated educational institution in Canada. Before applying, make sure that your desired school and period are eligible for a study permit and that you have the necessary documents.

(The application method is subject to change, so check back from time to time on the Government of Canada website.)

Conditions of application

  • Have an admission permit for a designated learning institution (DLI).

  • Can prove that you have enough money to continue your studies abroad

    • Tuition fee
    • Living expenses of the person and his / her companion
    • Round-trip transportation for you and your family to accompany you to Canada

  • Obey the law, have no criminal record, and get a police certificate if you need one

  • You are healthy and can get a medical examination if needed

  • Prove that you are leaving Canada if your school permit expires

Those who need or do not need a student visa

Student Visa required

No student Visa required

What you need to apply for a student visa

What you need in some cases

An admission letter from a designated educational institution (DLI) is required to apply for a student visa. Designated educational institutions can be found on the Canadian Immigration website. Please note that you cannot apply for a student visa at a school that is not on the list.

How to apply from Europe

It takes about 3 weeks to 3 months from application to issuance of a student visa. Be prepared with plenty of time so you don't panic.

Create / Log in to GCKey

Please log in with your GC Key from the IRCC Secure Account page on the Government of Canada website.

Start visa application process online

After logging in, we will answer each question one by one. Please read and prepare the Instruction Guide in advance.

Upload the required documents

After answering the questions, upload the required documents. Take a close look at the document checklist that will be issued after you fill out the form and make sure you don’t make a mistake.

Pay the application fee

A valid credit card is required to pay the application fee (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, JCB). The application fee is $ 150.

Receive a biometric instrucion (BIL) and register your fingerprints

After paying the application fee online and completing the application, you will receive a biometrics certificate (Biometrics Certification Letter: BIL) within 24 hours. Bring the letter and go directly to the Canada Visa Center within 30 days (reservation required) to register your fingerprint (Tokyo / Osaka). 

Student Visa issuance

How to switch from a tourist visa (eTA) to a student visa

Students staying in Canada on a tourist visa (eTA) cannot apply for a student visa from within Canada. To switch to a student visa, you will need to apply from outside Canada. As a method ,

  1. Return to Japan and apply online (or apply by mail to the Canada Visa Center in Manila)
  2. Apply by mail to the Canada Visa Center in New York, USA

Either is common.


However, unlike the “extension” of student visas, the visa switching examination is becoming more and more strict year by year, and even if you apply for a switch, it is not always accepted.
Therefore, if you want to go to school, it is better to enter with a student visa from the beginning instead of a tourist visa.


Switching from a tourist visa to a student visa is complicated and difficult, so please feel free to contact us at the Admission Hub.

Contact Us

Please fill in the contact form below and we will get back to you shortly.